North Branford, CT, 06472
Joined on March, 2013
Weekdays in the afternoon
Up to 20 minutes away at my regular hourly rate
EducationRoberta E McCarthy
49 Skylark Drive
Northford, Ct, Connecticut 06472
Winner of the NSTA Toyota Tapestry grant of $10,000 for science integrated unit entitled “the worms go in and the worms go out”. Presented project at conference in St. Louis, Missouri. Unit integrated all subjects with project based learning, journal writing, experiments, graphs, reading, and computer investigations. Experienced teacher with over 30 years in elementary education. Achieved above average increases in student Directed Reading Assessment levels. Developed positive behavior modification program resulting in higher self-esteem and learning progress. Initiated workshops for paraprofessionals and parents which resulted in a greater understanding of the NewHaven District’s Reading Goals and Standards. Organized/ directed parent back to school night for learning with students in “Everything Suessical”. Involved stations, learning activities, committees, take home work.
New Haven, Ct.
Achieved strong increases in the State of Connecticut directed Reading Assessments from levels as low as DRA 3 to DRA 30. Kindergarten to Grade 3. I have created and used multiple strategies and lessons to achieve these levels. I have been extensively trained in: Breakthrough to Literacy, Connecticut Writers Project, J. Comer Training, Flexible Groups/Learning Centers, DRA assessments. By using the techniques and information learned in these trainings, I have developed and provided my students with increased learning opportunities. These opportunities resulted in greater progress in all subject matters.
Other Strategies included:
• Designed and implemented a curriculum to meet the needs of challenged students
• Diagnosed individual reading problems and created lessons to address the individual’s needs
• Implemented workshops on reading, testing, diagnosing, and interpreting results in reading for paraprofessionals and parents to promote a greater understanding of State Standards/District policies.
• Represented district at “Perspectives in Children’s Literature Conference” held at the University of Massachusetts featuring Tomie de Paola and Jan Yolen, well known children’s authors.
As an active participant in the everyday activities of my students, I have been:
• Chosen to participate in the School Planning Management Team meetings resulting in acceptance and approval of school committee plans
• Chosen to plan, implement, and participate in the Extended Day Program for students to improve reading abilities.
• Attended district curriculum meetings and workshops to address reading/language issues.
• Selected to participate in the Step-by-Step program of inclusion to design and implement workshops for school staff.
Branford Intermediate School
Valuable member of four person team responsible for all Language, Mathematics, and Social Studies for one hundred students in a large school setting.
• Selected to represent district at Mathematics weeklong conference
• Presentation to staff of new ideas/strategies for our school as well as new materials for the classroom as a result of this conference
• Developed a Social Studies curriculum for challenged students. This program raised student’s confidence which resulted in a greater understanding of American History and better test scores.
• Designed multiple assessment tools in Mathematics, Social Studies, and Language Arts.
• Coordinated team meetings to integrate curriculum components
• Integrated classroom projects with the Library Media Specialist in all subject areas
Sixth Year Degree
Professional Educator Certificate-current
Certification preschool to grade 8
Library Media Specialist
Further references upon request
ExperienceI have worked in multiple afterschool programs emphasizing reading and language. I have prepared students for the Connecticut Matery Test in tutoring. I love the education of children and I have a desire to help children reach their highest potential.I have taught in an urban district for 30yrs. and I am currently an Academic Coach for newly hired teachers in our district.
HobbiesI oil paint for a hobby and currently have 3 clients I tutor after school. I also have an ebay store and sell merchandise on it. I continue to renew my education attending workshops and seminars on the developmental growth of children in primary grades.
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.